Yay, it’s September! Actually, I’m not really celebrating as I’m missing Andy and Daisy, but I have to admit it is nice to have a bit more time to myself during the days… while Gabriel is napping, at any rate (please don’t drop your nap, little man!)
So, I have a general catch up post so you can find out how I spent my summer. A fair bit of it was spent in getting Custom Fit ready for publication, but I made sure I took plenty of days off too. Basically, if the sun shone we made an effort to go out and do something. Sometimes that was just a walk in the countryside, but we did take a few day trips down to the seaside. There are so many gorgeous beaches we can drive to in less than two hours (only about 1 hr 20 mins in the case of Weymouth), and now that Gabriel is that little bit older, longer car journeys aren’t quite such an issue. Well, so long as we set off early enough. I don’t want to do another 9:30 trip to IKEA ever again (NIGHTMARE!!!).
This last weekend was also the UK Meet, held down in Southampton for the first time. I’ve got to say I think the organisers did an absolutely smashing job. I reckon this was the best Meet yet for covering all letters of the GLBTQ+ spectrum, there were some really interesting guest speakers taken from outside the world of romance fiction (yay!), and the entertainment at the Gala dinner was top-notch–particularly Ukulele Jam. Who’d have thought a bunch of people playing “good songs moderately well on tiny toy instruments” could be so funny?!
Anyway, here are a few pics from my Meet experience:
And here are a few more random highlights from my weekend, that sadly didn’t get photographed:
- Making up literal dance moves to Carwash with Temple Dragon.
- The amazing rendition of RJ Scott’s Happy Birthday by Sing Out Bristol.
- Petronella, George and Rach scaring off poor Trevor the barman on the Saturday night with all their raucous stories and bawdy jokes.
- Discovering my roomie JL Merrow had been given an upgrade. We had a balcony, amazing view, fruit bowl and chocolates!
- All those fantastic hugs from far too many people to mention.
- Realising that there are only five of us left who have been to all the Meets: me, Jamie Merrow, Becky Black, Clare London and Stevie Carroll.
- Catching up with so many old friends, and making new ones.
- Having a proper queue at my signing table and having to overrun and sign books in the break. This is probably because I insist on writing a proper dedication in each one, mind!
- Getting complimented on my me-made wardrobe.
- Having some sneaky ciggies with the Sinfully Sexy crew (and others!) and feeling like a naughty schoolgirl!
- Opening the amazing swag bag. A Josh Lanyon colouring book! One of Tab Klimpton’s comics!
- FaceTiming with Gabriel each morning and evening. I missed my little man!
That’s all for now, although I’m sure more will occur to me.
But you really came here for pictures of my kids, right? No? Oh well, you’re getting them anyway 😛
Aww, aren’t they cute?!
Anyway, that’s it for now, people. I have a new book to be getting on with. Who’s up for a lighthearted Christmas novella, featuring a somewhat Scrooge-like main character getting swept off his feet by the cheeky young fella who works at the local supermarket?!
Now I just have to write it in time…
What have you lot been up to this summer?